Thursday, October 23, 2008

Independence

This morning something wonderful happened:

I awoke to our home security alarm blaring loudly, and I turned off my alarm clock in the process of Erich disarming the security alarm. (It was a false alarm, of course) So, since I turned off my alarm clock accidentally, I overslept by two hours!!! The whole house didn't wake up until 8am!!! (That's not the wonderful part, in case you were wondering)

So, knowing that we were going to be 2 hours behind on schedule, I told the girls that we would school until the afternoon today to make up for lost time. I got in the shower and got ready for the day as I normally would, even though we were way behind on time.

When I got done, I went upstairs to check on the girls... and guess what they were doing?...


THEY WERE DOING THEIR SCHOOL STUDIES ALL ON THEIR OWN WITHOUT BEING ASKED AND HAD HUGE SMILES ON THEIR FACES WHEN I DISCOVERED THEIR 'SURPRISE'!!!!! :)


Praise God! One of our school goals is to establish an independence in the girls so that they will be self-starters and have a desire to learn on their own accord. We have always tried to foster in them a true love for learning. Today was awesome to see the fruit from the labor.

Caroline and Ava had done their spelling, copywork, history, geography & even downloaded our weekly praise song so that they could sing to the Lord.

Again, this was all on their own accord!!! It was truly wonderful to know that Caroline and Ava took the initiative to learn and due to their hard work, it made a very smooth and productive school day! :)

I read a wonderful post today on my sweet friend, Meghann's blog that discusses the very point of discipling our children to love learning.

And, for those that like looking at schedules like I do, here is our school schedule for the Fall Term:







They love school so much that Caroline told me yesterday, "I want to be homeschooled as long as I can..." and then started discussing her plans to homeschool her children when she's a mother. What a praise to God for instilling in their hearts the love of learning!

Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

Meghann said...

That is awesome!! :)